Altered box as frame stand

Hi there everyone! It's Suzna here.
Today i proudly announce my Guest DT appearance at Lulupu-The craft laounge for their February challenge. I created this project for "heart and arrow February challenge".
I thought it might be fun to decorate something that could be recycled. We all search at craft stores and shopping mall for things to alter and decorate, but why not decorate something laying around the house? Here's an old small Tommy's box for a wallet. This would be a perfect photo frame stand.
Sometimes Mixed Media can be a little intimidating, If your new it might be overwhelming and you may have questions like: Where to begin, what comes first, painting stamping or texture paste? Of course there are no rules, but in this quick tutorial, I'll show you my process for beginning and how to layer elements like a pro!

  • First of all you will need a metal box, it is my hubby’s wallet box, lengthy screw and 2 pringle chips base part 




  •  Add 4 chipboard round piece for strength. 


  • Make a hole for a stand.

  • This is what am planning for

  • I added a floral wire to get thickness
  • After applying Black Gesso

  • Separately decorate, base part and frame part

    

  • Then again, Prime the surface with a coat of black gesso. Allow to dry, after that apply a coat of prima clear crackle. Once it completely dry (keep it for 4 hour) apply Prima white sand texture paste randomly.  
  • Add your embellishments with a strong adhesive... here I used Tracky Glue and glue gun. Allow to dry completely. Now we need to a coat everything with black gesso, and white gesso with dry brush. Gesso is to be able to spray them with mists.

  • Apply white sand paste on top portion, it will show nice texture on frame

  • Start spraying on box with Golden doubloons colors of Lindys Stamp Gang spray randomly over the tin.  
  • After adding photo I added flowers, golden heat embossed heart die-cut and painted gate die-cut chippies 

  • Apply Inka Gold to finish and highlight everything, it make everything pop. I use my finger for better control. 
  • Ranger’s Glossy Accent product gives 3-dimensional effect, it can be used to create wonderful effects on craft projects. This medium dries to a hard, clear, shiny, and resistant finish.

  • For the finishing touch used prima glass glitter with mode podge.

These are the things I used: Gesso, paints, clear crackle, white sand, inka gold, tracky glue and all kind of treasures to add. I got my hands dirty and I loved every minute of it.

Look at all of the Gold Glass Glitter & and golden embossing on love frame. I really love all of the textures on this box. It really looks like the butterfly is bursting with gold sparkles. The photo doesn't do it justice.
Here are some close ups









I am sharing my another altered art project by using tuna tin, bottle caps and beads click here Mixed-media-on-tuna-tin.

I hope you enjoyed the step by step photo and are inspired to
 create your own Mixed Media frame art from recycled packaging!

5 comments: Leave Your Comments

  1. Great job! Thank you for joining Berry71Bleu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous project....you did a great job and have a splendid result! ;-) Thanks so much for playing along with us at Berry71Bleu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ide, I love this project! :) Thank you for playing with Berry71Bleu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Wonderful glamour creation!
    Thank You for joining our challenge at Berry71Bleu! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely amazing alteration!!! I love it!! Thank you for playing along with us at Berry71Bleu.

    ReplyDelete